- 1803, “General Views of the
Agriculture of Shropshire” J.Plymley - Bog, White Grit & Snailbeach
- 1818, August 5th,
Davy lamp causes explosion at Wallsend - 4 killed.
- 1826, April 8th,
Public Acknowledgment of Crime - taking a candle into Backworth Colliery.
- 1826, June 20th, Humble Apology
- unscrewing Davy lamp at King Pit.
- 1829, May 12th, The Cornish Miners, or The Maniac’s Den, from a Melodrama Poster.
- 1839, October 2nd, Shropshire
Pit girl "scam" - culprits apprehended, London.
- 1851, Kelly's Directory Minsterley
(including Snailbeach Mine).
- 1853-1859, Coal
types sold on the London Market.
- 1853, January 10th, John Lawrence - report on South Bog Mines (Rock Mine).
- 1853, February 5th, Douai, France
- New Coalfield.
- 1853, March 24th, Frightful
colliery accident - Ince Hall, Wigan.
- 1853, April 2nd, Glasgow -
Miners strike settled.
- 1853, August 20th, Kingswood,
Bristol - Miners strike resolved.
- 1854, August 26th,
Etherley Mechanic's Institute - 9th Annual Meeting.
- 1854, October 21st, Professor
Airy’s Experiments in a Coal-pit.
- 1856, February 21st,
Madeley Court Works miner injured - Healy.
- 1855, August 16th,
Death of Mr.Hoof, tunnel & railway contractor.
- 1856, August 30th,
The Cymmer Colliery explosion - Inquest.
- 1857, September 20th, Fatal
Boiler Explosion - Trimdon Grange Colliery, Durham.
- 1857, October 9th, Explosions
- Butterley Company's Colliery, Ripley, Derbyshire.
- 1857, October 14th, Explosion
in pit at Higham, near Barnsley.
- 1857, December 5th, Cwmdyle Mine,
Snowdon - rich copper veins.
- 1858, January 2nd, The Depression In The Iron Trade — The Use Of The Ulverstone Ore — Difficulties Attending Its Use — Probability Of Overcoming Them — The Coal Trade.—Notice To Colliers Of A Reduction Of Wages — The Probable Result.
- 1858, January 2nd, Colliery Explosions at the Madeley Wood Company’s pits.
- 1858, January 9th, The Formation of Sulphate of Zinc in Blast Furnaces.
- 1858, January 9th, Establishment Of A Reading-Room, Library, News-Room, Laboratory, &C- For The Use Of The Workpeople; Lecture On The Fine Arts In Their Relation To Manufactures.
- 1858, January 9th, Repairs completed at Lundhill Colliery, Yorkshire, after terrible explosion.
- 1858, January 18th, Two accidents at Clay Cross Collieries, Derbyshire (5 killed).
- 1858, January 23rd, South Wales miners strike - update.
- 1858, January 23rd, State of Trade — Price of Coal — Hard Tops & Cannel — Reduced Wages The Iron Trade.
- 1858, February 2nd, Explosion at the "Diamond Pit", Bardsley, Ashton under Lyne.
- 1858, February 6th, The Coal Trade — Prices of Coal — Horton’s Patent Equilibrium Valve.
- 1858, March 13th, Worry over reduction in Snailbeach workforce.
- 1858, March 13th, Gas explosion kills 2 - Lower Spring Pit.
- 1858, March 20th, Continued Depression in the Iron Trade — A Useless Search for Coal. Serious Accident — Explosion of Fire - damp at Dark Lane Colliery.
- 1858, June 26th, A Sinker’s Claim for Wages.
- 1858, October 4th, Fatal shaft accident at Willey Park - John Hill.
- 1858, October 9th, First steam tug on the Severn.
- 1858, October 23rd, Fatal Accident from a fall of Stone, three Lives lost - Newport, Shropshire.
- 1858, October 23rd, Shropshire Canal back in water.
- 1858, November 13th, Coalport (Shropshire) - Coal Prices.
- 1859, January 15th, Attempt To Sacrifice Life By Cutting A Pit Rope.
- 1859, March 26th, Death of 2 men, Preston New Winning, North Shields - from Derbyshire Times.
- 1859, May 23rd, Collier Thomas Amies (Amos) killed by roof fall, Pudley Hill Coal Pit, Old Park.
- 1861, January 12th, Serious Accident from Gunpowder at Bridgnorth - Mr. Wallace.
- 1861, January 14th, Explosion of Gas at the Grange Pit, Madeley - 1 killed, 3 injured.
- 1861, January 19th, Explosion of Gas at the Grange Pit, Madeley - 3 more die. Inquests start..
- 1861, July 13th, Death from Fire-damp at Dawley - Inquest
- 1861, August 20th, two men called James Corbet survive over wind - Langley Field pits.
- 1861, August 24th, Toad discovered in block of coal - Old Park.
- 1861, October 12th, Pontesbury coalfield to be let on lease.
- 1863, January 17th, Benthall
- Interesting discovery of wooden railway, carriages, grease pot and
- 1863, May 16th, Broseley News
- basket, dan, gaun, & axe found in old workings at Ferry-field.
- 1865, September 30th, Fossil trees discovered at Ironbridge..
- 1870, February 26th, Extracts from John Randall letter to the Mining Journal.
- 1870, August 24th, Charges brought against Dark Lane Colliery manager - Mr. Summers.
- 1875, Buildwas Abbey Subterranean Passageway discovered - Randall's Guide to Wenlock
- 1875, June 5th, Shropshire and North Wales Mining Intelligence - from The Mining World (Bog, Pennerley, Ladywell, South Roman Gravels)
- 1875, June, Monthly Illustrated - New Developments at Moat Hall, Shrewsbury.
- 1879, January 4th, Cranston Rock Drill (Advertisement) , Newcastle-on-Tyne.
- 1879, February 1st, Coal cutting machine, Trimdon Grange Colliery.
- 1881, May 14th, A Severn valley Coalfield (Wyre Forest).
- 1881, May 16th, Accident at Wood House Pit - Henry Hoof.
- 1881, May 24th, Accident at Meadow Pit, Madeley - Henry Wilson.
- 1881, August 15th, Accident to Miner, Coalbrookdale - Thomas Ellis.
- 1881, August 23rd, Accident at gin pit, Broseley - James Hall (Benbow).
- 1882, March 4th, Madeley Court Pit Accident - Richard Rogers (level filler).
- 1894, May, The Method
of Working Shropshire’s Broseley or Red Clay.
- 1894, September 11, A Sewer Laborer's Feat, Waltham, Mass., USA.
- 1895, January 19, Action Against Colliery Proprietor - James Ferriday.
- 1895, February 16, Meadow Pits: Accident to Pritchard & Severe weather.
- 1895, March 9, Suden death - Benjamin Hinsley, Engineman.
- 1895, April 13, Meadow Pit: Accident to Spendlove (horse driver).
- 1895, June 22, Dangeorus hoax at Shaw's Pit, Madeley.
- 1895, July 6, Accidents to Anderson & Pugh, Madeley Wood Pits.
- 1895, August 17, Hill Pits, Madeley - Accident to Frank Davies.
- 1895, September 7, Inquest into death of Benjamin Rushton, horse driver, Lilleshall Pits..
- 1895, September 14, Drunkenness, Iornbridge - John Harris, collier.
- 1895, September 28, Kemberton Pits, Madeley - Accident to Bates.
- 1895, November 9, Inquest into death of Alfred Lees, horse driver, Barrack Pit, St. Georges.
- 1895, November 16, Funeral of Alfred Lees at Donnington Wood.
- 1895, November 23, Stych's Colliery - Accident to Mr. J.Fox.
- 1895, December 7, Halesfield Pit - Accident to Briscoe, Hill's Lane Pit - men on notice.
- 1895, December 14, Madeley Court Colliery - Accident to Hayward, Halesfield Colliery - Accident to Kelsey.
- 1895, December 21, Kemberton Colliery - Accident to Davies, Court Field Pits - Accident to Tranter.
- 1897, Watchman dies in burning
pitshaft - Wednesbury, Staffordshire.
- 1897, December 18,
Hanwood Mill Collapses - 1 dead.
- 1898, January 1st, Another
Collapse at Hanwood Mill - 2 injured.
- 1898, April 2nd, Frightful
fall at Pudley Pit, Old Park - 1 killed.
- 1898, April 2nd, Lead Mining
in Shrosphire - records from the Lawrences.
- 1898, April 16th, Shelve
Mining District and Leigh Level Drainage Scheme - W.Oldfield.
- 1898, May 28th, Madeley
Court Pit Accident - 1 injured.
- 1899, May 20th, Accident at
the Fish House, Broseley.
- 1899, June 3rd, Fatality
at Snailbeach Lead Mines.
- 1899, July 8th, Black Damp
fatality, Station Pit, Oakengates.
- 1899, September 30th, Fatality
at Snailbeach Lead Mines.
Background to the origins of:
- from the pages of which many of the snippets of news appearing here,
have been gleaned.
- 1900, Mines Inspectors
Reports - Summary of engines and boilers.
- 1900, Water Worker Fatalities.
- 1902, May 17th, Mining
in Shropshire - Meeting of Owners and Mangers.
- 1902, June 28th,Shropshire
Mines and Quarries - Mr. W.N.Atkinson's Report.
- 1902, July 5th, Madeley
(Shropshire) - Accident, Kemberton Pit.
- 1902, July 12th, Fatal
Colliery Accident, Stafford Pits, St.George's (Shropshire) - Man killed
and another seriously injured.
- 1902, December 6th, Inquest
into fatal accident - Lilleshall Co's Stafford Pits.
- 1903, January 18th, Pitshaft
fall, Hanley, Potteries - The Sentinel
- 1905, January 2nd, Fatal
Accident at Highley Colliery - Alfred Davies burnt by paraffin.
- 1906, February 17th, The
Miners Greeting - Re-opening of Shropshire Lead Mines.
- 1906, February 24th, Presentation
to Mr.Raspass (mining engineer) - Madeley, Shropshire .
- 1906, March 1st, Explosion
at a Quarry near Wellington (Shropshire) - 2 Quarrymen Injured.
- 1906, March 17th, French
Mine Disaster - Courrieres Mine, near Lens.
- 1906, March 31st, French
Mine Disaster - Update.
- 1906, May 26th, Local
Mining Statistics - Mines Inspectors Report.
- 1906, June 30th, Shropshire
Mine Accident - Woodhouse Pit, St. George's.
- 1906, October 20th, Sad Fatality at Meadow Pit, Madeley, Shropshire (Arthur Turner, 8).
- 1906, December 6th, Explosion
at Stafford Pits (Shropshire) - Opening a lamp
- 1906, December
15th, Broseley Petty Sessions - Dunge Coalpit, Mines Act.
- 1908, February 8th, Broseley Petty Sessions - Theft of Coal.
- 1908, July 8th, Mines Inspector report - fatal over wind, Barracks Pit, Donnington (T.Jones, foreman sinker killed).
- 1908, August
22nd, Colliery Disaster - Maypole Colliery, Abram, near Wigan.
- 1908, August
29th, Flooding Wigan Mine - Maypole Colliery, Abram, near Wigan.
- 1908, September
3rd, Steam pipe accident - Niddrie Pit, Midlothian + Miner dies
at Great Northern Station, Ilkeston.
- 1908, September
5th, Coal cutting machine accident - Aberpergam Colliery, Glynneath.
- 1908, September
10th, Accident - Cabbage Hall Colliery, Dudley + Miners strike
- Riggonheads Colliery, Haddingtonshire.
- 1908, September
19th, Explosion in Flooded Mine - Maypole Colliery, Abram, near
- 1908, September
19th, Lightning in Mine - Pennsylvania, USA.
- 1910, April 16th, Billingsley
Colliery bought by South Wales Co.
- 1910, September 3rd, New
Coal Seam Discovered - Madeley Wood Colliery.
- 1910, December 10th, Cage
Accident at Kemberton Colliery, Madeley.
- 1910, December 17th, Kemberton
Colliery Disaster - Inquest.
- 1911, January 21st, Terrible
Fall, Engine-driver killed - Madeley Court Field, Madeley, Shropshire.
- 1911, February 4th, A
Madeley Fatality - Halesfield Pit, Madeley, Shropshire.
- 1911, March 25th, Madeley
Collier's Death - the Inquest.
- 1911, July 29, Lead Mining
- the Hope Valley , Shropshire.
- 1911, September 9th, Mining
Dinner - Catering Tenders invited, Oakengates, Shropshire.
- 1911, September 30th, Mining
Dinner - The Miner's ideal, Oakengates, Shropshire.
- 1911, October 28th, Priorslee
Miner's Death - Freehold Pit, St. George's, Shropshire.
- 1911, November 4th, Priorslee
Miner's Death - Inquest.
- 1911, November 18th, Repairs
to Colliery Plant - Victoria Colliery Company, Ketley, Shropshire.
- 1913, June 13th, Edward Medal awarded to men at Markham Colliery (Derbyshire).
- 1955, The Boden Family, Madeley Wood Colliery.
- 1955, July 1st, New Pit for Salop (Madeley, Shropshire).
- 1959, April 4th, Hopes For Rich Strike In Stiperstones Mine - Burgam Lead Mine.